Sunday, September 23, 2012

Another Year, Another Dia de Independencia!

I'm officially on my second cycle of Costa Rican holidays, which is good. Now that I am more comfortable here, I can take more advantage of these things as they arise!

September 15 is Costa Rica's Independence Day. On Independence Day Eve, families gather at their child's school across the country for presentations and a lantern parade. I missed out on this due to work, rain, and traffic last year. But this year, I was able to go see the festivities at a school near my house. At 6:00 pm on the dot, the entire country stops to sing the national anthem. I remember this breaking into the radio broadcast last year as I drove home from work. This year, I got to hum along with everyone at the school. Then, children run a torch all across the country and light a cauldron at these festivities. This is a tradition that dates back to a woman who went through her town gathering up people to stand outside while government officials discussed the independence. There was no electricity then, so everyone had lanterns. And then others spread the word across the country by carrying lanterns. (Think Paul Revere, it's a very similar history.)


It was a little rainy, but we hung in for the lantern parade. All of the children make lanterns in school and then they carry them as everyone processes a few blocks around the neighborhood. I'm sure lots of people were wondering how some gringos ended up in their parade, but everyone welcomed us. At the end of the parade they had some masquerade dancers that were performing in the street!




 









 Then, on Saturday, I went with my neighbors Anna and Bryson (Peace Corps volunteers) to the parade in Escazu. Every town has their own parade. It's very similar to one of our home town parades - mostly children of all ages marching, dancing, cheering, playing instruments, etc. I really enjoyed the parade because it reminded me of home and also really reminded me just how similar our traditions are to other countries. This was a family-centered day where people lined the streets to watch their children perform. That's what we do!

 Anna and Bryson at the Parade.  



 
 Flags were an essential part of the celebrations!

 Tiny paraders dressed in traditional outfits.

 Typical food - a ripe plantain turned into an empanada with beans and cheese inside. Pretty yummy!


 Happy Independence Day Costa Rica! Thanks for letting me celebrate with you again!

-Amber




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Schedule of Visitors and Trips